banner

08 November 2011

The God of Small Things

Set in Kerala, a place where I went to visit my long-rooted family, Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things had somehow managed to make me read it till the end. The book is full with very distinct ways of descriptions but for me, it failed to describe the enormous amounts of coconut trees in the communist state of India. It was like a sea of pokok nyiur when I went there but the writer made no effort to mention about the trees.

Yes, if you are breeding yourself to become book-lover, please do not read this book. You will hate reading for the rest of your life. You will hate English and Kerala and words.
The book is very boring until at some point I forgot that I was reading the book and it was still in my hands. I was lost, but fortunately the story was not so complicated to catch on.

The book won The Booker Prize, but it never won my heart. The novel is about a family in India full of traditions and of course 'tempered with who to be loved'. The caste difference which played a very significant part of India's bygone era was portrayed in the novel- through love and making out of course. 

The plot is like 'violating the plot' if I am to discuss it here as what the review suggested. The plot is so detailed and fabricated in a way that you have to finish the book till the end to understand it. Yes!

There are two English-speaking Kerala Indian twins, with their mother Ammu, their grandmother Mammachi and their great-grandmother Baby Kochamma! Not to forget, the Anglophile uncle of theirs, Chacko. And his wife and daughter, the English Margaret Kochamma and English-Indian Sophie Mol respectively. 

The English wife and her daughter Sophie Mol came to Kerala via 'London-Mumbai-Cochin' flight and somehow somewhere her daughter was killed in a tragic accident. The twins were with her. 

Their mother, Ammu made a forbidden love of different caste (between Touchable and Untouchable) that led to all sorts of tragedy in the family. If you are reading this, it will spoil your reading experience with the book. But I doubt you will read it because The Chukai Insider DOES NOT RECOMMEND YOU TO READ THIS BOOK! The Chukai Insider took five painful days to finish it! -The Chukai Insider

3 comments:

  1. I once borrowed this from my uni's library but didn't finish it.

    Yup, it's quite lengthy, draggy. In other word: boring. Sorry Arundhati Roy.

    I prefer Rani Manicka's The Rice Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'll try to get the book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Ayat mu pasal Kak Chuk tu agak mencurigakan so baik mu delete!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will be deleted except comments from 'anonymous' people I know. Please refrain from comments of a racist, sexist, vulgar or derogatory nature and note that comments can be edited, rewritten for clarity or to avoid questionable issues. The Chukai Insider also reserve the right to delete off-topic comments.